Get ready for an exciting summer
Kick off meeting: 6 July 2017
Project week: Saturday 15 July 2017 – Sunday 23 July 2017 - 17:00
Self study till final presentations at August 24th
Are you intrigued by sustainability transition and looking for a useful way to spend your summer? Do you want to get the TUDelft ‘Technology in Sustainable Development’ (TISD) annotation, but does the Q2 course WM0939TU not fit your study planning?
This summer course has it all: a chance to meet peers from different universities, a chance to innovate the festival and to bring innovations to society! This will be together with peers and expert advisors, in a perfect informal learning environment, party place, free tickets to Welcome To The Village Festival. You will be supported to test your skills and ideas among festival goers, and bring them abroad to make sustainability transition happen!
The ESD is in collaboration with the SIP summer course. It is highly encouraged, fun and efficient to take SIP and ESD together!
During the ESD Summer Course you will study the contributions real-life innovation at the festival can make to a fully sustainable festival, and the possibilities to mainstream these in a sustainable society. The festival will be a full week on-site research. This project week will be combined with the SIP summer course at Welcome to the Village; a pop-festival in the north of the Netherlands. As festivals function as mini-societies we believe that it is the perfect playgrounds for innovation, and to explore the potential of innovation to change society.
This summer, from July 15th – 23rd, 2017, over 100 people with different backgrounds and expertise will gather in Leeuwarden to work on challenge driven innovation projects that tackle sustainability issues.
Scientists, artists, entrepreneurs, students and experts alike will all work together to brainstorm, design, co-create, develop, build and test innovative solutions wrapped around different themes; Energy, Water, Waste, Transport, Food, Technology and Human Behavior. You can find a complete overview of these themes here.
As festivals mimic societies they also face similar real world challenges when it comes to the above-mentioned themes. Due to the presence of these challenges, innovative ideas and solutions are required also leading to the need for marketing, supply chain management, sustainable business models, feasibility, upscaling and other business-related fields of interest. However, the challenge is if and how the temporary festival innovations allow for mainstreaming innovations and support sustainability transition.
The festival is considered the test ground for circular province of Friesland. Your research and report will be focussed on pathways to its sustainability transition, and the potential to mainstream and scale up festival innovations to suit the sustainability needs of the Friesland.
Both ESD and SIP Summer Courses are part of the innovation programme of Welcome to The Village called DORP. As a student you will follow the general DORP programme together with a couple of specific additions like meetings and classes, write reflective columns and hand in a written report at the end to receive a certificate of participation.
Excited?! Sign up for the ESD Summer Course by sending your motivation letter to email@example.com before June 12th. A maximum of 8 students can join the ESD summer course.
- The ESD Summer Course is an alternative for WM0939TU (TUDelft, Q2 only) and gives access to the TiSD annotation.
- It is a 5 ects (140 hrs) course, of which about 1 ects research set up, 1 ects on-site research overlapping with SIP and 3 ects self-study after the festival.The Summer Course project week to do on-site research is from 15 - 23 July 2017 in Leeuwarden.
- The course is open to all students from Leiden University, TU Delft and Erasmus University.
- Participation is free of charge but not without commitments. If you are not present or nowhere to be seen during the Summer Course week or weekend we are obligated to charge you a fee similar to a WttV weekend ticket (€100,-).
- Meals and overnight stays are included.
- Entrance to the Welcome to the Village festival is included.
- Your tent, travels and alcoholic beverages are not included.
- As a participant we expect you to be present all week.
- Send your motivation letter before the June 12th to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For more information see our website or contact email@example.com